Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What is a Long Drop?


The most common question asked when we pulled up to hotels at the end of a long day of driving was “Is it a sitter or a squatter?”
Even though I deliberately dehydrated myself, I still looked forward to when we could all relax and just let ourselves go. Despite how it looks, squatters (sometimes referred to as long drops) are actually more hygienic than sitters, for the only things that have to touch germs are the bottoms of your shoes. Unless, of course, your pants are too long for you. :) They are very easy to use if you are wearing a skirt. (That’s probably more than you wanted to know. Sorry!)
These pictures illustrate the range of facilities available at various places, illustrating the gap between the rich and the poor.
The thought process I go through when thirsty has become much more complicated since going to Tanzania. Before the trip it went like this: "I'm thirsty, where's a cup?"
During the trip it was, "I'm thirsty. Do NOT drink any water!"
Now it goes something like this, "I'm thirsty. Do NOT drink any water. Oh yeah, I'm home now. I'm not likely to go anywhere today. The toilet is down the hall and it's a sitter. It's also clean. No one is likely to peek inside the door. Where's a cup?"

No comments: